The parish is made up of the village of Thorngumbald and the two hamlets of Camerton and Ryehill.

The Parish Council would like to thank Mr G S Skeggs for allowing us to reproduce some of his photographs on this page. 

Thorngumbald

Thorngumbald was originally part of the manor of Burstwick at the time of Edward the Confessor. Following the Norman Conquest, ownership of Thorngumbald, as part of Holderness, changed hands a number of times, finally becoming a Crown estate until the mid 16th century when ownership passed to the Constable family of Burton Constable. Thorngumbald was originally 'Torn' and the 'Gumbald' taken from the Lord of the Manor. Thorngumbald was part of Paull parish for ecclesiastical purposes.

The most notable building in Thorngumbald must be Thorn Hall, originally built by Samuel Standidge in 1770 who later became Mayor of Hull in 1795. After change of ownership several times the Hall was demolished in 1880 - 81 by its then owner, Charles Hargitt Johnson and rebuilt in its current Jacobean style. The Hall is now a residential home for the elder

 

 left
Main Street, Thorngumbald in 1913

 

right
St Martin's Farm, the site of the present Royal Mail

 

Thorngumbald Brass Band

 

Reproduced with kind permisssion of Mr G S Skeggs.

Thorngumbald Brass Band was formed in 1887 by Mr J Elletson, of Thorngumbald, who was also the conductor and bandmaster.

This photo was taken outside Burton Constable Hall, where the band played at a function to mark the wedding of King George V and Queen Mary on 6 July 1893.

Members had to be resident in Thorngumbald, and the band was very popular, playing at many functions in neighbouring villages.

Camerton 

The hamlet of Camerton was also part of Paull parish for ecclesiastical purposes, but for civil purposes it was included with Ryhill in Burstwick.  Camerton originally belonged to the Bootheby family, and in later years to the Omblers, Edward Ombler having erected Camerton Hall (see right).  (see right)
 

 

Ryehill

Ryehill is reputed to be named after the ancient family of De Ryall (Bulmers 1892 Directory). Surprisingly, no reference can be found until the 12th century. Originally it was called Ryal, and later became Ryhill, until the North-Eastern Railway Co. changed it to Ryehill. The old station still stands to the north of Ryehill, and the track is now a cycle path

Within the hamlet of Ryehill is the Crooked Billet, a 17th century public house and one of the oldest in the area. The Crooked Billet, previously known as the Royal Oak, once stood on the main Hedon to Patrington road. This is now Pitt Lane, since Ryehill was by-passed in the early 19th century.

Old photos of the Crooked Billet, Ryehill
Date unknown

 

Reproduced with kind permission of Mr John Campling, Crooked Billet  

The three communities of Thorngumbald, Camerton and Ryhill were united as a new civil parish in 1935.   

 

References:
Bulmers 1892 Trade Directory
Poulson's History and Seignory of Holderness
Skeggs G S 1990 Thorngumbald: That Village Yon Side of Hedon